Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Stray (Werecats #1)

Stray by Rachel Vincent is a novel about werecats. At first, the book starts out a bit slow. I wasn't too happy at first at Faythe', the main character, story. She came across as very whiny. As the story progressed, I did realize that this was actually perfect characterization. She was so obsessed with not being heard, not taken seriously, she didn't do the same to those around her. That is perfect. How many people, including ourselves, do exactly that? How many of us become so blinded by our own lives we forget others? So, I felt, upon reflection, that the characterization of Faythe fit perfectly. As the book progresses, her blinders come off and she starts to grow up. She starts to see that she has been heard more than she thought possible and that she had yet to see those closest to her weren't the monsters she thought they were. 

Within this realization, not is all calm. She confronts her biggest fear, captivity. As she comes face to face with this fear and finds herself more worried about those around her she becomes more of a leader than she thought she could. This section of the book becomes very fast paced with a lot of action. What happens, I will not reveal as I feel it would spoil much of the book. I will say, however, the resolve left a couple of questions with me which was not answered in the ending of the book. I'm not disappointed as there is a hint that there is more to come. Since there are more books in this series, I'm sure some of those answers will come. This book is definitely worth a read and I'm looking forward to reading the next in this series. 

3 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to get into this series, but because I know I'll love it I need to buy all the books at the same time so I don't have to wait...and give myself a nice long weekend to read without interruptions! I think it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting...I've never heard of this series but it looks good. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting - its like a modern day catwoman

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!