Friday, November 4, 2011

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Description:
My name- my True Name- is Ashallyn'darkmyr Tallyn. I am the last remaining song of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court.

And I am dead to her.

My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl...

To cold faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing gentler feelings the Winter Prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase- a half-human, half-fey slip of a girl- smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer faery can survive,

With the unwelcome company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through its end- a quest to find a way to honor his vow to stand by Meghan's side.

To survive the Iron Realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. And along the way, Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.
Okay, some people (although fewer in number) have yet to read this series, so I will do my best to avoid all spoilers. However, unless you have been under a rock, you should know even just a little bit about this series.

This being Ash's story we begin where the last book, The Iron Queen, left off with him going on his own personal quest. Now, I also loved Ash in the previous books, I admit I had trouble connecting to him in this book at the beginning. I think he just came off as so different to me that it took me a minute to adjust even though I got to know more about his past. He had to become his own person after all and could not just play off of other characters. So, I admit (and I know some people will kill me for this) the beginning dragged for me a bit but not much as I still was captivated with the world of the fae.

As for the other characters I think my favorite with this book was Puck. Being a true friend and the comedian of the group, he always entertained me. Puck needs his own book now. I would love to read that adventure! I, of course, should also say something about Grim. I also have to admit, I wasn't as in love with Grim at the beginning of the adventure, but he proved to be the perfect cat sith by the end of the book. So, I hope I'm forgiven for that statement and don't now owe him a huge favor by now. O.o

At the end of Ash's adventure I admit that I was fully captivated and was also fully involved within the story. It becomes the story we are used to with the rest of the series and hate to see the book end. So because of the end of the story I give this book 4 stars. It really payed off.

And NOW I must still proclaim now and forever more I am always:
You will always be my favorite snarky character!
Grim, am I forgiven now?

I was given this book by NetGalley and no compensation for my review was given.

17 comments:

  1. Yes, I have been under the rock - a very cosy place. Is this series really so good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review Melissa. Still in doubt about starting the series though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I have been under a rock as well. I have much love for the Fey and simply must crawl out from under. A very fun review :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to start reading this series. I'm not sure what's wrong with me for not buying the first book! :( lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit that I am one of those few in number who have not read this series. I may or may not be living under a rock. But I have to take issue with your allegiance to Grim as I am allergic to cats. My eyes are watering even as I write this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm starting this one next- so I didn't read this review... But I TOTALLY freaking LOVE Grim right????

    ReplyDelete
  7. So for you too it was difficult witht he first part ? I'm so glad you liked it, ti was nice to have another point of view for the end of the series. But for me it was the same thing, it wasn't easy to get into the story in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did take a while for me to warm up to Ash too...not surprisingly since his core temp is below zero. LOL

    But I think the bromance was awesome. And I agree, PUCK NEEDS HIS OWN BOOK! Did the fairy gods hear me? I hope so.

    P.S. I hope for your sake, Grim doesn't read this review. He will not be happy to learn you didn't love every minute of him

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Anachronist... You haven't heard of it??? I like it, but remember it is YA and PNR. You may not.

    @Aurian... I loved the first 3. Those got better as it went on.

    @Animewookie... Oh if you love the fae, you will love this series.

    @Nina... Library book it then! :D I think you'll like it especially book 2 and 3.

    @Stephanie... Na, not under a rock. You at least heard of it! Oh and see it this way... Grim isn't a cat, he's a cat sith which is really seelie fae. ;)

    @Ashley... Hey! I'm non-spoilery! And yes! Total Grim freak! :D

    @Melliane... I would have been really upset if I didn't get into in the end. But I did! :)

    @Missie... LOL True... he was a ice prince. ;) Just DON'T tell Grim what I said! *looks pleadingly*

    @Blodeuedd... Hey! I'm non-spoilery! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. TEAM GRIM FTW!
    Seriously though, I cannot choose between Puck and Ash, it is kinda ridiculous (and hence why I have yet to read this book, even though I have had it on my Kindle since mid-summer, I don't know if I truly even like Ash... Let alone a whole book about him)...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Team Grim picture!!!!! I totally want to put that on my sidebar!!! <33333

    Great review! I really loved this book - it was a little odd at first though to get used to Ash's voice, but I ended up getting so caught up in it! And Grim I think was my favourite character out of the series!

    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Puck and Grimm! I've never been as big a fan of Ash, but I don't dislike him either. I'm looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book made me cry! My poor heart. All of that heart ache! But I loved the way it ended.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Puck and Grim!

    Unless something changes *don't hit me now*----I am still not going to be an Ash fan. I am reading this book now....

    I just don't know what it is between Ash and I --- we just don't get each other LOL

    Puck, Grim, and I could totally hang in a bar though :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The world Ms. Kagawa builds is immersive, fantastical, and wonderfully imaginative. It is a playground for the mind and a feast for the spirit. This story is something that must be experienced to be truly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!