Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Calling by Ashley Lynn Willis: Review by AimeeKay

The Calling
by Ashley Lynn Willis
$.99

As many of you know it's been months since I was at sea with the crew of The Rusty Dagger. So this charming book with it's connections to the deep really floated my boat! (ARGH! What a bad pun!) Bad puns aside, I really liked this book.

Justin was sweet and kind, not to mention good looking. Plus he really cared about Mandy, as a fried as well as a lover. He even stood up to his best friend Ty in regards to Mandy, long before he even knew if he had a shot with her. As for the whole issue of it was his best friends girl. Well Ty was being a dill weed, to put it mildly, and he deserved what he got. Willis did a really good job with Mandy as well. From her concerns about her cancer returning to her fear of being rejected simply because of her surgery scars, and mostly everything in between. Mandy felt real and I liked her. I found myself able to understand and sympathize with her. There is this great bathroom scene in the beginning of the book. Mandy is freaking out over some tests and her best friend, Lori, comes in to check on her. Before I spoil the whole scene for you, let me just stop myself and say that the banter between the two friends felt real. I could imagine it happening in real life.

The only problem I had at all in the story was near to the end. ***Major Spoiler alert*** Justin and Mandy are cornered by Ty and Justin goes into a rage and defends Mandy. Mandy gets freaked out because of how over the top Justin's anger went. She even runs off and says she doesn't think she can be with him since he can't control his anger. Ok. Look, if one of my ex-boyfriends shot a gun at my head and my boyfriend went ballistic and accidentally hurt my ex I would NOT be feeling any sympathy for my ex. Sorry, maybe that makes me a bad person *shrug* but it's just my opinion.***End Spoiler alert*** Ok, maybe that wasn't soo bad a spoiler.

Besides that one issue I had with Mandy, I really liked the book. Willis's description of the sea are beautiful, I felt like I was really there. As I said before her handling of Mandy's issues from her cancer was spot on. I would definitely read more of this authors work. Whether it involves the sea or not!

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday! and a Happy New Year!
'Til Next Time!
AimeeKay

14 comments:

  1. A nice review, Aimeekay, thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed this one for the most part (aside from the issue with Mandy which I skipped over because I haven't read it yet)! I have it on my TBR pile and am looking forward to picking it up. Always good to know you'd definitely pick up more books by the author!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your spoiler and even worse I would be cheering! Seriously, breaking out the pom poms and fist bumping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great cover and I for one loved that pun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds nice to have beautiful descriptions of the sea. It's original to have something like that. Glad you liked it and thanks for the discovery I didn't know this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wasn't a bad spoiler and I totally agree with you! What is wrong with that girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh, that was actually a pretty good pun. I couldn't help but giggle. Thanks for bringing up book on my radar. Never heard of it before, but now I'm thinking about checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the lovely comments!
    Can't take credit for finding this one though, Melissa was the one who sent it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! I do love your spoiler. I guess I'm a bad person too. ;D

    Thanks so much for reviewing this book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So she freaks out because her boyfriend cared that she was almost attacked? That's weird. I'd be on your side. Doesn't seem like I'd have sympathy for the ex either.

    Hadn't heard of this book before, so thanks for the review. The cover is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see your understanding. I don't know how a person would act that way. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when the dialogue's so real and the characterization is so true that the story flows and feels authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this series and don't expect to, but I read your spoiler and I'd have to agree with you. I'd want my boyfriend to go Rambo on my ex's butt! And I'd have no problem with it. It would make me love him even more!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!