Monday, May 14, 2012

Revived by Cat Patrick

As a little girl, Daisy Appleby was killed in a school bus crash. Moments after the accident, she was brought back to life. 
A secret government agency has developed a drug called Revive that can bring people back from the dead, and Daisy Appleby, a test subject, has been Revived five times in fifteen years. Daisy takes extraordinary risks, knowing that she can beat death, but each new death also means a new name, a new city, and a new life. When she meets Matt McKean, Daisy begins to question the moral implications of Revive, and as she discovers the agency's true goals, she realizes she's at the center of something much larger — and more sinister — than she ever imagined.
This book deals with a girl who has died several times and has been revived by a secret agent drug tested on a select number of kids. We follow one of these kids in Daisy. The fact that she has defied death has made her unafraid of dying even though there still could be a chance that the drug may just stop working one day.

The premise of this drug is not without it's drawbacks. We understand that it will not cure someone suffering from a debilitating illness. However, Daisy has died more than once by asphyxiation. That made me question how that drug will work because if her brain was deprived of oxygen shouldn't there have been some damage? Especially if it was more than once? However, it wasn't hard to suspend belief and we just assume that they got to her in scant seconds, always at the ready. Even though I had this question, I admit it didn't bother me that much. It's fiction and I can suspend my belief for the sake of the story.

I enjoyed the characterization of Daisy and also enjoyed her new friend Audrey. Matt her love interest was suitably swoon worthy even if you wanted to kick him in the arse at least once. He did have a good reason for being a bit of a jerk (and no, I'm not telling why...). Although I must say that I did question his motive for liking Daisy more than once. He does get me to forgive him in the end. :)

I also enjoyed the other subjects this book presents. One is what is often called invisible chronic illnesses. Daisy has a severe allergy to bee stings. She carries an epi-pen. Her friend has cancer but you can't tell physically. The way people draw away from the person with the illness and the adjustments to life were also dealt with briefly. I thought that was pretty well done. You hardly ever see that in YA. In fact you hardly see this at all.

I give this book 3 stars. It was an enjoyable mystery. It did have it's slow moments, but it didn't last long. I think this book will also appeal to those that like contemporary YA but want that little extra "strange" element within the story.
I was given this book by the publisher, Little Brown and no compensation for my review was given.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds a little different, but I'm not sure. Although I've enjoyed a couple of contemporary YA books recently I think I want to stick with my paranormal reads!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the topic is interesting I don't think I've ever read a book like that. You're right I wonder now how the drug could work on people. thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think this one is up my alley but great review!

    PS I love your header---Tonks probably wants to borrow that book. However, don't lend it---I don't want her burying bones in the yard LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fascinating read, something, as you say, that bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also got a copy of this from the publisher but was curious to read your thoughts. I think the drug questions would bother me too and I'm surprised it wasn't addressed in the book. I think I'll give the book a whirl. Thanks for the heads up on your issues though so I know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you seemed to enjoy this one for the most part Melissa, and that it's fairly easy to suspend believe and just roll with the story a bit:) Is it weird that I find your description of wanting to kick Matt in the arse an appealing one? For some reason, boys who are jerks but have good reason for it work well for me. In fiction. Not so much in real life:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know, the synopsis is interesting, but it didn't sound that good. Maybe it's The Revivalist series skewing my view that books of this sort should be made of awesome. Then again, Rachel Caine is Rachel Caine. Gosh I'm a downer, LOL! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not know..so they are there are once reviving her then? And if she takes risks maybe she takes risk with no one around

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this book around a few times, but your review has finally made me add it to my wishlist!

    I don't mind suspending belief occasionally, especially if it's about something so obviously fictional.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yanno? I often wonder if every jerk believes s/he has a good reason for being one. LOL

    I was a fan of Patrick's debut, so I have hopes that I will like this one too. I mean, I don't really have any problems suspending belief. My husband, Alexander Skarsgard, can confirm this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review! I have not yet read her first book but I plan on getting to it. Thanks for sharing Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice review Melissa, this sure sounds different. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not heard of this one before now. Interesting. And sounds like a very strange and powerful drug to have around. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see your review of this one. I've got it sitting here. I've tried to get into it a couple of times, but so far it's slow glowing. I'll give it another chance.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!