Thursday, July 11, 2013

Throwback Thursday: The Peculiar

Meme hosted by Melissa My World in Words and Pages. It's about books that are already on the shelves and are waiting to be read. Go to her website to join in!

My submission this week:

The Peculiar
by Stefan Bachmann
read by Peter Altschuler
Publisher: Harper Audio
Don't get yourself noticed and you won't get yourself hanged. 
In the faery slums of Bath, Bartholomew Kettle and his sister Hettie live by these words. Bartholomew and Hettie are changelings—Peculiars—and neither faeries nor humans want anything to do with them. 
One day a mysterious lady in a plum-colored dress comes gliding down Old Crow Alley. Bartholomew watches her through his window. Who is she? What does she want? And when Bartholomew witnesses the lady whisking away, in a whirling ring of feathers, the boy who lives across the alley—Bartholomew forgets the rules and gets himself noticed. 
First he's noticed by the lady in plum herself, then by something darkly magical and mysterious, by Jack Box and the Raggedy Man, by the powerful Mr. Lickerish... and by Arthur Jelliby, a young man trying to slip through the world unnoticed, too, and who, against all odds, offers Bartholomew friendship and a way to belong. 
Part murder mystery, part gothic fantasy, part steampunk adventure, The Peculiar is Stefan Bachmann's riveting, inventive, and unforgettable debut novel.
Yep, another audio free from SYNC (if it's not up right away then just wait, it should be soon)! I've been curious about this one and it is free starting today! Just so to theSYNC website to get it. This one is open to everyone. Yep, it's international!

So, any good fae books on your tbr?
Note: Nope, I'm not affiliated in any way with SYNC or the publisher or the author... just like freebies and telling ya about them. :D

27 comments:

  1. Bartholomew Kettle, Mr. Lickerish, Arthur Jelliby - such wonderful sounding characters, I love the sound of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have any Fae on my current TBR. I have weather wardens but no fae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few fae books on my TBR - especially the Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa...I'm so bad at actually reading books! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you enjoy that series. I thought it got better as the books progressed.

      Delete
  4. I've definitely been curious about this one. Always a fan of magic and Fae books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried SYNC. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do. These are free for a limited time and only free in the summer.

      Delete
  6. I had my mom review this one for the blog and she LOVED it which of course makes me think I should also read it:) Normally MG isn't my thing, but I think the author is really young and I always get curious about book written by authors who are still teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know where I heard the goodness! I'm also just as curious.

      Delete
  7. I really liked this one! A bit quirky, but definitely a lot of charm. I'd be curious to know what you think of the audio version. Hope you enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kagawa's is the only fae that I know of on my tbr

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember reading Jenny's mom's review of this one and I thought it sounded like a fun little read. I need to figure out how to get these audiobooks on my mac. I have to download some software and crap and I havent' wrapped my head around it, yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instructions are there when you click on the link to get the book. You first download Overdrive (free) for your OS system. (BTW, a lot of libraries use the same system and you can then get audio that way...) Then it will take you to a page where you "sign" up (I've gotten no spam from them) and then download the .odm file. You click on that file and it will prompt you in Overdrive to make sure you want to download the whole audio file. Click yes both times and you will be good to go. It is easy to transfer to what media you want to play it on through Overdrive. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  10. I love the idea, I should try one day an audiobook, but someone contacted for that, so maybe soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I need to get back into my audios. I will hopefully soon... :)

      Delete
  11. What the what? This is about Fae? I never would have assumed that with the cover (then again, maybe I shouldn't make assumptions! ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! Oh! Oh! I've been WANTING to read this one! since I went on vacay I totally forgot about the free sync downloads. Thank you for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of this one. Neat. Now, go listen to it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm, I've got that SYNC email waiting for me. I'll have to look at this one. I have LOVED these free SYNC books this summer!! Thanks for sharing this one. I probably wouldn't have looked at this one.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!