Friday, November 8, 2013

Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings #4) by Jackson Pearce

Series: Fairytale Retellings #4
336p.
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: Nov. 5, 13
Source: NetGalley and Publisher for review
Kai and Ginny grew up together–best friends since they could toddle around their building’s rooftop rose garden. Now they’re seventeen, and their relationship has developed into something sweeter, complete with stolen kisses and plans to someday run away together. 
But one night, Kai disappears with a mysterious stranger named Mora–a beautiful girl with a dark past and a heart of ice. Refusing to be cast aside, Ginny goes after them and is thrust into a world she never imagined, one filled with monsters and thieves and the idea that love is not enough. 
If Ginny and Kai survive the journey, will she still be the girl he loved–and moreover, will she still be the girl who loved him? 
Jackson Pearce, author of the acclaimed SISTERS RED and FATHOMLESS, has returned with a unique vision of Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Snow Queen,” one about power and redemption, failure and hope, and the true meaning of strength.
My thoughts:
I knew that the stories build on themselves, but had only read Fathomless, the last book in this series. It did help me to have read that last book and now I do want to read the ones prior as well. Sort of work my way back to where it all started. I may even understand more by the time the next book appears. :)

This one is based on the Snow Queen with the author's own twist. In this book the Queen was once an Ocean Girl who gained back her memories and therefore broke from the pack. She finds she can manipulate the water into snow which slows down her pursuers. She is also lonely and finds that what was done to her she can do to others and they become her companions until she is bored with them and discards them. Kai captures the Queen's interest but Ginny, the girl he loves and loves him back, decides to fight the Queen. It is what happens on Ginny's quest to get back the boy she loves is the real story here. It is her growth and the way she finds that she can love another without being lost herself. In fact, she finds herself along the way and it opens up a sense of freedom she never knew before. I also enjoyed the secondary characters in this tale. I'm curious to see if either of those will take precedence in the next installment of this series. If so, I would enjoy reading it.

One of my biggest complaints of the story is that the romance between Ginny and Kai is poorly developed at the beginning, but as stories were told I did finally get why there was such a connection between the two. The adventure slowly reveals the tale of their romance and that was better than finding the instant connection at the beginning. So my complaint turned into a positive in the end.

I give this book 4 stars. I enjoyed my time here and really enjoyed the growth Ginny goes through in her adventure. I recommend it to those that enjoy retellings and those following this series which I now need the first 2 books. :)

18 comments:

  1. The story sounds very intriguing. I've read two of the others in this series and they're good but they don't really stand out to me. I like the eerie feeling of them but the romance seems forced in all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if this is the kind of series that gets better as it goes along. I didn't read the first 2. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds so good! I have Fathomless but haven't gotten to it yet but I'm really interested in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm behind on this series Melissa! I've read Sisters Red and the next one (the name escapes me), but I still need to read Fathomless. I'm glad that despite the romance being a bit rocky for you in the beginning, that it ended up being a positive in the end. That's always a good thing. Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's nice, I love retelling fairy tales when they're well done so this one seems perfect. I'll add it to my wish-lit, well not this one but the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to try this author's books for about three years and I just don't get around to it. They sounds o interesting I like the idea of this, but honestly I am not completely sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy retellings so that is what drew me. I like seeing what they can come up with in the storyline.

      Delete
  6. This sounds interesting and like you I love retellings. Bummer about the romance, but it still sounds like this is a worthy read :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read her first one in this 'series' I didn't know they had any sort of connections though. Anyway, I didn't love the first and haven't had an urge to read more. I did meet her last year and she's really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of this one but then I like re-tellings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still to decide what I think of re-tellings -part of me thinks them inventive whilst another part of me thinks them lazy storytelling - I'm going to add these books to my wishlist in the hope that I can make my mind up for once and all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love re-tales of classic fairy tales. Thanks for sharing. I will check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a bit hesitant about reading anymore of these - I read the first Sisters Red and gave it a 2 star...did you like that first one?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm also super behind on this series, but encouraged you were able to skip around (even if it does have you wanting to go back). This sounds like a cool updated fairy tale, and I'm glad that Kai and Ginny's romance improved once you realized they had more of a past connection. I'll have to make sure to catch up on all these books, they sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!