Friday, May 8, 2015

The Voyage of the Basilisk by Marie Brennan

Series: Memoir by Lady Trent #3
352 p.
Publisher: Tor Books
Published: 3/31/15
Source: From publisher for review
Devoted readers of Lady Trent’s earlier memoirs, A Natural History of Dragons and The Tropic of Serpents, may believe themselves already acquainted with the particulars of her historic voyage aboard the Royal Survey Ship Basilisk, but the true story of that illuminating, harrowing, and scandalous journey has never been revealed—until now. Six years after her perilous exploits in Eriga, Isabella embarks on her most ambitious expedition yet: a two-year trip around the world to study all manner of dragons in every place they might be found. From feathered serpents sunning themselves in the ruins of a fallen civilization to the mighty sea serpents of the tropics, these creatures are a source of both endless fascination and frequent peril. Accompanying her is not only her young son, Jake, but a chivalrous foreign archaeologist whose interests converge with Isabella’s in ways both professional and personal. 
Science is, of course, the primary objective of the voyage, but Isabella’s life is rarely so simple. She must cope with storms, shipwrecks, intrigue, and warfare, even as she makes a discovery that offers a revolutionary new insight into the ancient history of dragons.
My thoughts:
I did think that this series was a trilogy but it looks like it is a full series if the ending is any indication. While it isn't really a cliffie, it does dangle more adventure to come. More dragons to be discovered.

This book is also like the other 2. We get sort of an alternate history lesson as if dragons walked amongst us and how we would have treated him. Lady Trent is an adventuress who studies dragons and dragon lore. And as with the other 2 books we get wonderful drawings by Todd Lockwood interspersed into the story. These drawings really make the story come alive IMHO. The biggest adventure is saved to the end as with the last story so it ends with a bang and a new discovery. What that leads to we will have to find out in the next book.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars and I'm curious as to where her discovery takes her and I'm quite curious as to how some of the secondary characters fit into the storyline. There is a young man who is taken with Lady Trent and I suspect we will see more of him as his mysterious background comes to light. I want to know more about that! I recommend it to those that like alternate history fantasy books.

15 comments:

  1. This series sounds interesting and different, I saw some nice reviews about it. I should try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh dragons. Sounds great and something that little bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you've continued to enjoy these books, Melissa! I'm excited to give them a try myself--soon!--so the fact that the series keeps up its caliber is important. Fantastic review, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to know what you think. I don't see too many reviews for them.

      Delete
  4. I want these books just for those gorgeous illustrations Melissa! I can't get enough of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you keep reading this and reminding me how cool they are. I love the illustrations, I really need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fave part is the illustrations. I really think it pulls the story together.

      Delete
  6. Is this a YA or adult series? I didn't even realize it had a story - I just thought it was illustrations.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I such a sucker for high fantasy novels, and yet I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a historical high fantasy prose! I’m also wondering if you would recommend this to a young reader (12+)? My son loves dragons and mythical creatures from under the sea! Great review Melissa; I truly appreciate your honest approach :)

    Claudia @ My Soul Called Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. GRR..this series is still on my wishlist Melissa. So many books, so little time

    ReplyDelete
  9. I won the second book and need to get the first so I can start this series. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!