Friday, October 30, 2015

Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen

Standalone
288 p.
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Published: 10/27/15
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
A beautiful violinist is haunted by a very old piece of music she finds in a strange antique shop in Rome. 
The first time Julia Ansdell picks up The Incendio Waltz, she knows it’s a strikingly unusual composition. But while playing the piece, Julia blacks out and awakens to find her young daughter implicated in acts of surprising violence. And when she travels to Venice to find the previous owner of the music, she uncovers a dark secret that involves dangerously powerful people—a family who would stop at nothing to keep Julia from bringing the truth to light.
My thoughts:

Another book I almost DNF'd because of one incident at the beginning. *spoiler (highlight to read)* She finds her cat stabbed and the likely culprit is her 3 yr old child. Two things I hate. Killing the animal and involving a kid. UGH. *end spoiler* I decided to push on because I had to know what happened to her child and I'm glad I did. Note to authors... stop it. Don't do what I said in the spoiler. I hate it and you could have done at least some of the same thing differently. Okay, off my soapbox. ;)

The rest of the story was engaging and I found myself captivated with the mystery Julia seems bound within the music. This part of the story feels haunting and paranormal and we aren't quite sure what is real. I love feeling off set in that manner. The story also shares a POV with Lorenzo who is an Italian Jew in WWII and how his story enter-twines with the music Julia found. The author ends up telling the story of Lorenzo and the others without dwelling on what happened but makes it no less horrific. The mystery is about how the music came about, and the players within the story both past and present.

I give this book 4 stars. I loved the authors prose and it was perfect to convey both the beauty of a piece of music as well as the tragic circumstances that surround it's inception and it's discovery. We find out all the parts of the story in the end and it is a satisfying ending to a short but powerful book. I do recommend it and if you find yourself in the same position as I did in the beginning, push through it, you will be happy you did.

16 comments:

  1. So glad you stuck with this and it turned out to be a really good read for you. It is hard when there are tough beginnings like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too. I understand why but I still didn't like it. I did love how she brought everything together in the end though.

      Delete
  2. Ick - I'm glad that it took a turn for the better after that incident.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still bothers me but I do get why she put it in there.

      Delete
  3. omg yeah that probably would have had me DNFing on the spot. Gah! Glad it turned out to be a good read even with that. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you pushed through it you would enjoy the rest of the book.

      Delete
  4. dude, what? no... just... no.. and in the beginning also? i give you credit for plowing on

    ReplyDelete
  5. *shudder* That spoiler would bother me, too! Glad you wound up liking it, though. :D Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to see it was worth your time, I can tell you were super excited to read this.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urgh, I see what you mean. Disturbing, I'm put off by that spoiler.

    An author I have read and enjoyed in the past but I'll pass on this one thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually love her books but I read your spoiler and NO just no. That was it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad hat despite this terrible first ting you did continue and had a good time with the story

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am happy you enjoyed it despite almost DNFing. I have done that to 2 books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!